The Strange Convergence of Film, Literature and Music in One Longass Video
Then come back and amuse me by answering, or at least attempting to answer, the following questions:
- Richard Price, WTF? And was this the first or final kernel of Hollywood hell that propelled him into writing the novel that would eventually become CLOCKERS?
- Was Scorsese gettable because he needed $$$ to get THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST off the ground?
- Are any of the actors involved remotely convincing as high school students?
- Would the video have been better or worse if the song had been a duet with Prince like it was originally intended?
- What’s up with the West Side Story overtones?
- For that matter, could the whole Wizard of Oz switcheroo from black & white to color have been handled just a wee bit more effectively?
- Just how dead-on is Weird Al’s parody?
- What other critically acclaimed or cult favorite directors should try their hands at a music video? I vote for David Cronenberg, Atom Egoyan and Whit Stillman. Just because.
- Was this the moment when Jackson’s dancing style stagnated and began its downward slide into mannerisms and tics?
I have spent far too much time pondering this, but 20 years later, I can’t think of a music video quite so fucked up on so many levels.